Winter Congress 2016 Reflection


ah... the long awaited emotional and heartfelt post to wrap up #norcalwc2016. I don't even know where to begin, to be honest. All I know is that before joining JSA, I had all my doubts. Coming out of Winter Congress 2016, I felt so full with joy and happiness. There's not really a way for me to describe it in words. It's just a very feel good feeling. One year ago, I would have never imagined joining JSA, speaking at JSA, or even joining Cabinet. Today, I have absolutely no regrets and I'm so happy that JSA plays such a huge role in my life.

I came to Winter Congress this year to present 2 bills. It was so nerve-wracking and I wasn't expecting much out of it, but my bills ended up passing through Senate! I texted my two other co-sponsors (Abeeha and Emma) and it turned out that they both passed through the House too! It was so exciting. I didn't realize how nice people were, though. Throughout Saturday and Sunday, I ran into people who I've only had conference calls with. It was so cool to finally meet them in real life, after all the hard work we've been doing together. I also found myself talking to random people to interview them for Humans of NorCal JSA, something I don't think I would have had the courage to do had it been a year ago. Come Sunday, I had to present my two bills again in the floor sessions. My first bill failed and I was pretty bummed about it, but Abeeha was really supportive and Denny sent me motivational texts telling me that I had another shot, that I shouldn't let defeat beat me and that I should come back twice as strong. & that the gavel was mine. of course I knew he was being supportive, but I didn't expect his words to come true since I was pretty bummed about the first bill. I went over my final plans with Emma during lunch, presented my bill, and... I did it. My bill passed, 24-0-2. It was the most amazing feeling and I've never felt so confident in my life.

There's so much I could say, but I'm going to end it here. I'm having such a blast being the State Director of Publicity for NorCal and it made me happier when random people would come up to me and thank me for my work.

Thank you so much Denny for making me join in the first place. I still get really proud whenever you speak at the conventions as governor. Thank you Kenna and Nikita for all your hard work in making this happen, and still being able to keep a smile on your face despite the stress. Thank you David for your caring heart and your positive vibes. & not gonna lie, I maybe fangirled a little bit when you gave me a high five at opening session when I said I was taking pictures. Thank you Ashley for all your hard work and suggestions and help in the Instagram, it was good to finally see you in real life! Thank you Abeeha for jumping in as representative for my bill when Michael couldn't make it. & the North Star looks great! Thank you Emma for all your support in our bill too, couldn't have done it without you. we did it! we created an official JSA law. & FINALLY, thank you to the state directors, all of cabinet, and all attendees. Winter Congress couldn't have happened without you. Hope I can take more pictures of your smiling faces at Spring State. #bethepeople

♡, Grace Khieu

No comments:

Post a Comment